If you’ve been thinking about hiring TruGreen to care for your lawn, you may be wondering – is TruGreen safe for pets?
As a pet owner myself, I certainly had questions when considering professional lawn care services.
This article will explain TruGreen’s products and services. We’ll also share tips for keeping your pets safe when using TruGreen.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What Does TruGreen Do?
- 2 Is TruGreen Safe for Pets?
- 3 Precautions for Pet Owners
- 4 Training for TruGreen Technicians
- 5 How Lawn Care Helps the Environment
- 6 Is TruGreen Right for You and Your Pets?
- 7 Is TruGreen Worth It?
- 8 Key Takeaways
- 9 Final Thoughts
- 10 People Also Asked
What Does TruGreen Do?
TruGreen is a big company that helps homeowners care for their lawns. Some of their main services are:
- Fertilizing: This means putting nutrients on your grass to help it grow thick and green.
- Weed control: TruGreen uses products to get rid of weeds like dandelions in your yard.
- Insect control: They will treat your lawn for bugs like grubs and ants that can damage grass.
- Disease prevention: This means putting down products to prevent lawn diseases like brown patches.
- Aerating: Aerating means punching small holes in your soil. This lets air, water, and nutrients reach the roots better.
TruGreen has different plans based on what your lawn needs. Their Healthy Lawn Plan bundles main treatments like fertilizer and weed control. These get applied over the whole growing season.
TruGreen also offers extra services like treating mosquitoes. Their technicians will spray products in your yard that kill and chase away mosquitoes.
Is TruGreen Safe for Pets?
TruGreen says their products are safe for pets when applied properly by their trained technicians. It uses strong professional products – even stronger than what regular homeowners buy. Always review product safety info carefully!
Some active ingredients in TruGreen’s products are:
- 2,4-D: This weed killer targets broadleaf weeds like dandelions. Studies show it’s safe for pets when used normally.
- Imidacloprid: An insecticide for lawn bugs and grubs. Can be toxic to pets if they eat a lot of it.
- Glyphosate: The most common weed killer for grassy weeds. Low toxicity for pets.
- Pyrethrins: An organic insecticide made from flowers. Can be toxic to cats if they ingest it.
Precautions for Pet Owners
TruGreen says its products are safe when applied properly. But it’s smart to take precautions around treated areas:
- Keep pets off treated grass until completely dry. Sometimes this takes hours or up to a day.
- Avoid letting pets on treated areas if they tend to eat grass or lick paws after being outside. You may want to keep them in or in a fenced area for a few days.
- Schedule service times when pets are away, like weekday work hours if possible.
- Tell your technician you have pets and where they play/go potty in the yard. They can be extra careful in those areas.
- Watch for reactions like drooling, throwing up, or itchy skin, and call your vet. Serious reactions are very rare.
Also Read: Is Scotts Thick'R Lawn Safe for Pets?
Training for TruGreen Technicians
One reason TruGreen gets good safety ratings is its employee training. All TruGreen technicians are licensed pesticide applicators. They go through extensive training on how to:
- Safely and properly apply lawn chemicals
- Follow product labels exactly
- Use precision sprayers so products are not over-applied
- Put up signs and notify customers after treating lawns
- Avoid applying chemicals right before heavy rain
With this training, TruGreen technicians know how to keep people, pets, and the environment safe when caring for lawns.
How Lawn Care Helps the Environment
Professional lawn care services like TruGreen actually benefit the environment when done right:
- Targeted application: TruGreen Pros only treat areas of your lawn that need it, instead of blanketing the whole yard. This uses less chemicals overall.
- Proper dosing: Technicians are trained to not over-apply products. Too much can wash into streams and rivers during rain.
- Less waste: With proper fertilizer at the right times, less gets washed away unused. No wasted products or money!
- Pest control: Stopping pests prevents bare and thin spots in grass. This prevents erosion and runoff during storms.
Is TruGreen Right for You and Your Pets?
Deciding whether to use TruGreen comes down to your specific needs:
- Check TruGreen’s plans and costs to see if they fit your yard and budget. You can get a free quote online.
- Have them analyze your lawn and recommend the best services for the results you want.
- Ask questions! Reach out to customer service or your local branch for tips on safely using TruGreen with pets.
- Compare TruGreen to other companies in your area to find the best fit. Look at both big providers like TruGreen and local landscapers.
- For total peace of mind, consider organic lawn care options that use only natural products safe for pets. These plans cost more but many pet owners prefer them.
Is TruGreen Worth It?
Whether Trugreen is worth it depends on what you want for your lawn. Trugreen provides fertilizing, weed control, and other treatments to help grass grow thick and green. Their technicians are trained to use chemicals safely.
But TruGreen plans can cost hundreds of dollars per year. For some homeowners, it is worth paying for professional care. Others prefer to do basic lawn care themselves and save money.
There are also organic lawn companies that use natural products safe for pets. Do research to decide if TruGreen fits your needs and budget. There are other options for DIY lawn care or hiring different companies.
To wrap up, Trugreen is a popular lawn care company that offers services like fertilizing, weed control, and pest treatments. They use professional-grade chemicals that are stronger than homeowner products.
Trugreen states their products are safe for use around pets when applied correctly by trained technicians. But it’s still important to take precautions like keeping pets off treated areas until dry.
Also Read: Is Ortho Weedclear Safe for Pets?
People Also Asked
Ques1: what does TruGreen spray on lawns?
Ans: TruGreen applies different products like fertilizers, weed killers, insecticides, and fungicides. The exact products depend on the lawn plan and issues treated during each application.
Ques2: Is TruGreen safe for pets to dogs?
Ans: TruGreen says their products are safe for dogs when applied correctly by trained technicians. But it’s still smart to keep dogs off treated areas until dry. And don’t let dogs eat grass from treated yards.
Ques3: Is TruGreen safe for pets to eat?
Ans: You should not let pets eat grass or plants from a lawn treated by TruGreen until the treatment is dry per the product label. Chemicals could be toxic if ingested in large amounts.
Ques4: Is TruGreen safe for humans?
Ans: TruGreen states that humans should stay off treated areas until lawn products are dry.
Ques5: How long after TruGreen treatment can I let my dog out?
Ans: After TruGreen treatment, it’s recommended to keep dogs off the lawn for the time listed on the product label. This typically takes a few hours but can be up to 24 hours.